Saturday, September 25, 2010

"The Parfume : The Story of a Murderer" Soundtrack


As with all of Tykwer's films since 1997's Wintersleepers, the musical score for Perfume was composed by Tykwer and two of his friends Johnny Klimek and Reinhold Heil. The score was performed by the Berlin Philharmonic under the direction of conductor Simon Rattle. Tykwer began composing the score with Klimek and Heil the very day he started working on the screenplay. Tykwer said, "I feel like I understand very much about the structure and the motivations of the characters when I'm writing the script, but I really do understand the atmosphere and the emotional and the more abstract part of the film when I'm investigating the music, and when I'm planning the music for it. ... When I then come to the shooting, having worked for three years on the music and three years on the script, I really feel like I know exactly the two worlds and how to combine them." By the time it came to shooting the film, a substantial portion of music had been composed. Tykwer hired a small orchestra and recorded them performing the score. Tykwer played the recorded music on set so people could explore the atmosphere and the acoustic world of the film while they were acting in it. The music was also used instead of temp music during editing.

In the film, Dustin Hoffman's character describes perfume as being comprised of twelve scents which, when mixed by the skilled hands of a perfumer, create a layered, complex scent which he likens this to the creation of a musical chord with individual notes. The score reaches the complexity that Hoffman refers to, it works well in the film, and as album creates complently different layers of resonances.

No comments: